Friday 21 September 2012

From Russell... Northward Bound...


I enjoyed my four days in Russell, Bay of Islands. It's a small seasonal town with lots of history.
I'ts a lovely place to visit. Read more about it here.http://www.russellnz.co.nz/..
Beautiful all the year round... I never tire of walking along the waterfront past  the old 'Duke of Marlborough' hotel and twisted old Pohutukawa's.
Read more about the 'Duke' here.
It's full of cafes and tourists, a fabulous ice-cream shop and fascinating 'Op' shop.
Treasures everywhere.

The sunsets are new every evening...

I left... In my bus... Across in the ferry from Okiato to Opua....
There are two ferries, operated by Fullers... They are like flat barges really and carry cars, buses, trucks...
And whatever wants to cross from one side to the other.


Opua is a growing town and community especially since a huge marina has been built.
Not many shops but it boasts a school...
The ferry glides into the boat ramp, the gang-way is lowered down and it's easy to drive off.

An increasing number of houses perched on the side of the hills...
And always yachts moored.

It was about a two hour drive to the Karikari Peninsula and to the beach at Ramp Road...
It's one of my favourite places... I haven't been here since last summer so it was
lovely to be back.
I was greeted by an evening rainbow... Showers in the distance...

Then to the west a lovely sunset...
Foretelling a lovely day to come I thought!

But no... Today has been wild and windy and some heavy showers...
So I'm packing up to go and visit a friend in Kaitaia for the weekend...
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Great posts Angela, you make it sound really inviting and you are obviously having fun.

    ReplyDelete