Monday 13 April 2015

Molesworth - Mt Chisholm...


The mountain directly behind the Molesworth homestead is Mt Chisholm.
I got to know the wife of the ranger and we decided to
talk an afternoon stroll... I don't think. It is 1518 meters high.
The Cob Cottage DoC camp is 900 meters high, so only
another 600 meters or so... I thought I'd give it a go...
My biggest walking challenge since I broke my leg!








The gentle beginning of the walk...

45 minutes later...

And another hour later we surely must be nearly to the top...
The track continued along this sharp ridge, loose scree in most places.

Spectacular scenery...

I wouldn't have wanted to slip and slide all the way down here!

Ominous looking clouds... Is it going to rain?
We hadn't taken rain coats, in fact a bottle of water and
an apple were my sole provisions.

Another 20 minutes and we are still climbing.

Up into the lofty heights...

Nearly the last post identifying the track... What track?

I've made it... It's quite cold and a strong wind up
this high but I was all hot and bothered. 

It was great to collapse and enjoy the view and enjoy my 
apple and water... Then I didn't have to carry them down
the mountain again. The DoC info board said it was 1hour 
20minutes but it took us 2 hours up and 1 hour going down.

The weather looked very threatening to the west...








But bright and clear to the east. I wondered which was
going to reach us first but it stayed sunny and we stayed dry.




 And back to where we started...
What an amazing walk and how unfit I am... But I did it. Yay!




1 comment:

  1. Well done! I'm not fit enough to do hills... But what amazing views :-)

    ReplyDelete