Saturday 15 December 2012

Christmas Cake Anyone?


I've just made my Christmas cake...
Much the same recipe as last year with a few variations.
It's delicious.

 It's a bit like a 'Cathedral' cake.
The light shines through it.


 This is the recipe...
But I changed the fruit. I had a lot of mixed dried fruit...
Raisins, currants, sultanas and peel that I wanted to use up.
So I soaked it in a cup of brandy for eight weeks... Yes eight weeks...
The smell was divine.
I added dried pineapple pieces and dried
New Zealand apricots into the other
fruit and soaked that overnight.
Next day I added the cherries and nuts

Here's the final mix... Lots of fruit and nuts... More than the recipe says...
But that doesn't matter.
My cooking is always a little 'creative'.

Then the flour and spices... I put double the recipe.


 Then the eggs... I put six.

 
 The tins are ready...

And into the oven. 150 deg C for 2 hours.
The front cake is in a flexibe silicone container...
I didn't line it like the other two metal tins.
The silicone is supposed to be non-stick... And it was.


Out of the oven... Just perfect...
Moist... Sublime flavour... Very moreish...
Like a slice?
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. That cake looks damn yummy and I want some, well more than just some...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cake looks great! The cook of the household hangs her head in shame and admits that she has never ever made a Christmas cake! Perhaps next year.

    ReplyDelete