Sunday 20 January 2013

Kite Fishing...


I've been watching people on the beach and how they fish.
I have a surf casting rod but decided I can't get out far enough with that.
Some people use electric torpedos and winches...
Some use wind powered long line balloons...
And some use kites.
I decided that I could manage that...
So this is what I bought.

It's called a 'Flexiwing' from Pauls Fishing Kites...
Read more about them here.
It's a medium size kite...
And I thought plenty strong enough for me to manage.

So I went to a great fishing shop not far from where
I am parked at the beach.
They had one... Plus a short rigid rod... It's the same height as me.

And a new reel, suitable for kite fishing and strong enough to pull it in.
700 meters of dacron braid... It's strong and very fine so can fit lots on the reel.

A trace board with traces and hooks...
An empty milk bottle filled with sand and water for a float...
Some sinkers...
A dropper line...

And out it goes...
The kite sailed up into the wind...
The challenge is not to let it go!
It was a moderate westerly... Just right


Here it is... A speck in the sky.

Here is a diagram  of how it all works.
The kite goes out first... On the dropper line...
Then the main line on my rod is joined on...
And both lines go out together...
The float bottle and weights...
Then the hooks.
The main line takes the kite out and the dropper line
and the hooks float free in the water.


  This is the ultimate goal... Beautiful snapper
I haven't achieved it yet...
But I will!

No comments:

Post a Comment