Sunday 28 December 2014

'Heavenly'... My Handcrafted Body Creams...

Since I last talked about body creams and gave you a couple
of recipes, I have started to make them in a more serious way.
 I have an outlet to sell them in my daughter's cafe so thought
I would give it a go... I've got much more detailed and
precise about ingredients, measurements, temperature...
and everything involved. I buy most of the ingredients
from Go Native. You will also find basic recipes on their 
website. The containers I get from Arthur Holmes

All the creams are made in three phases and heated to a specific
temperature... This is the water phase... Filtered water, green 
tea, sometimes rosewater... Whatever you like really

And the oil phase. The white bits are the emulsifier... 
Sometimes Shea butter...
Measured to the exact gram on my digital scales.

Heated then combined and whipped till thick and cool...
The last phase is the essential oils and preservative.
Close by a rough draft of the recipe I am making and a 
calculator  to  work out the cost.

We brainstormed for a name and it's been a family affair
to design the label, they have improved with each trial.
At this stage I get them printed in Takaka. They are printed 
on an A4 page so I have to individually cut out each one.
I make four different creams/lotions and each has
different ingredients and the label is a different colour.
The ingredients list is on the side of the label - They don't have
any colourings, numbers or unpronounceable names. 
The preservative and emulsifier are as 'natural' 
as I can find. 60% of what you put on your skin is
absorbed into your blood stream, so I'm very fussy
about what I put in each cream.

The 220ml bottles...

Filled and with the tops on...

Labels on... 'Heavenly'-  Hemp Oil, Aloevera, Lavender
After Sun Lotion.

This is one of my earlier 'brews' and labels. The label has gone 
wrinkly because I stored them in the cafe chiller... I don't do that now!
'Heavenly' - Hemp Oil, Green Tea, Calendula, Vanilla, Body Lotion.

I made some more today and put it in lovely160ml blue 
glass bottles and small 50gr pots.

Here is a selection on the cafe counter... Each
different lotion or cream has a tester... 

So come and try... It's delicious and delovely and
good enough to eat...

My point of difference is Organic Hemp Seed Oil

Hemp seed oil, certified organic


Cannabis sativa
Certified organic, USDA
Cold pressed, virgin
100% pure

Origin: Canada

Hemp seed oil contains antioxidants, protein, carotene, phytosterols, phospholipids, as well as a number of minerals including calcium, magnesium, sulfur, potassium, iron, zinc, and phosphorus.
It is a source of complete protein and contains all 20 known amino acids, including the nine essential amino acids.
It also contains Vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, B6, C, D, and E.
The green color in hemp seed oil is a result of the high level of chlorophyll which is naturally present in the seeds.
Perhaps the most valued property of hemp seed oil is its percentage of essential fatty acids, which is higher than any other plant in the world. It contains both omega-3 and omega-6 essential fatty acids, in a proportion of 3:1. This proportion is the recommended balance of omega-6 to omega-3 acids.
Essential fatty acids are necessary for our health, and are responsible for the lustre in our skin, hair, eyes, transferring oxygen to every cell in our body, and even the clarity in our thought processes.

Specifically, hemp seed oil has been shown to assist with the following:
• Eczema
• Psoriasis
• Acne
• Dry skin
• Dry hair

In cosmetic and body-care products, hemp seed oil is anti-inflammatory, anti-ageing, balances dry skin, fights skin inflammations, helps heal skin lesions, has antioxidants, and contains moisture balancing properties. The oil is non-greasy, readily absorbs into the pores, is an emollient, and has rejuvenating and moisturising properties for the skin.
The vitamins and minerals present in hemp seed oil are easily absorbed through the skin, resulting in a more vitamin and mineral-enriched body-care product.

No comments:

Post a Comment