Monday 17 March 2014

Kitchen Matters... And Recipies...

 Here is the promised Pumpkin Soup recipe that
I have just made and eaten for dinner.
The recipe is actually - 'Curried Pumpkin Soup
with Coconut Cream'.
I had a big Crown Pumpkin (above)
but it's also delicious made with the smaller
Butternut Pumpkins.

 I hate the hard job of peeling pumpkins so the easy
way is to roast them either cut into large 
pieces... Or whole (above) then when cool peel and
scoop out the seeds. Roasting the pumpkin
also gives a rich orange colour and
intensifies the favour.

 Here is the end result, a little cream stirred through
and some chopped parsley.

The Recipe
Aprox 3-4kg pumpkin . Bake 170deg C until soft.
In a large pot quickly fry 2 chopped onions,
as much garlic as liked, in 2 tabs olive
oil, stirring for 1-2 minutes.  Add spices -
1-2 tabs vegetable stock powder
1 teasp tumeric
1 tab ground cumin
1 tab ground corriander
1 tab garam masala
2 teasp curry powder
Cook stirring another minute.
Add pumpkin and 8-10 cups water
or less if you want it thicker.
Simmer till tender.
Take off heat, add 1x400gr can 
of coconut cream, more water if needed.
Can mash for a chunky soup or
blend for a creamier result.

 Remember my tomato plants... Well I am still
picking tomatoes. The plants are dying off
but another week and all the little green tomatoes
will be ripe and ready to pick. I have enjoyed
growing them and eating the tomatoes
on my lunch time salads.

 Another thing I have been doing is cooking up
fresh beetroot. It's much nicer than the
cans which I have been buying lately coz
I've been lazy. This is my mother's recipe-
Cook fresh beetroot till tender. Leave
to cool a little then squeeze each beetroot
gently and the skin will pop off (I wear gloves).
Cut into slices or chunks.
Brine - 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1&1/4 cups vinegar (I use cider vinegar)
1 teasp ground cinnamon
8 whole cloves
8 whole all spice
Heat till sugar is dissolved, add cooked 
beetroot and bring to boil.
Pour into container or jar.
Adjust brine ingredients to the needed amount
to fill your container. It keeps in the
fridge for ever or can seal jars
and preserve. My father used to grow
rows and rows of beetroot in his garden,
my mother bottled it into rows and rows
of jars in her cupboard.

Lately all the magazines have had recipies for
Aubergines or Eggplant.  Here is one I have tried.
Roasted Aubergine with Red Onions,Yoghurt and Lemon
4 small aubergines
150ml olive oil
3 red onions finely sliced
1 teasp ground cumin
1 teasp sumac
4 tabs Greek-style yoghurt
1 medium lemon
1/4 preserved lemon finely chopped
(I used lemon zest)
parsley for garnish
Cut each aubergine in 1/2, score surface
in criss-cross pattern. Brush with
oil, season with salt and pepper.
Place in roasting dish, bake 200deg C
for 8-10 minutes until golden & soft.
Heat remaining oil in heavy pan, add
onion, cook till soft & starting to brown, 
add cumin and sumac, cook 2 minutes.
Make a sauce - pour yoghurt into bowl
add lemon juice and zest.
Transfer aubergines to serving dish
spoon sauce over. Pile onion on top
then a little lemon zest and parsley to  garnish.
Serve as a starter or part of a whole meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment