Tuesday 5 February 2013

Kohukohu... Another Far North Small Town Treasure...


My adventures on my day exploring with my friend Carolyn...
Who lives in Kaitaia...
Started in Kohukohu...
I have been there several times before
but this time was impressed with how this little town is expanding
and becoming a very interesting place to visit.
Above is a gallery that I have been to before.
It changes the art displays often...


This end is the art gallery, not so much in it just now.


The other end has changed and been taken over by a woman
displaying and selling clothes with a difference and flair...

Carvings, trinkets of all sorts...

Jewellery, paintings, preserves... 
I offered to buy the spirit level...
I like the colour and thought it would be very useful to tell me
when I am level when parked (Haha)
But it wasn't for sale!

 
This little 'Op' shop is amazing...
Even open on a Sunday.
The man working in there is an interesting local to talk to...
He told us the proceeds this month are going to the
hospital as it's short of funds.
No trouble finding treasures for a few $$$'s in this shop.

 
The general store and ice cream shop...
And next door the little local library.
On a previous visit there was a box of free books outside.
I took some and posted them to my grandsons.


 And this is the local cafe...
It is 10 stars **********
It is part of the local pub but the manager and
'chef de excellence'
Is the lady who had the Waterfront Cafe over the road.
The owner of those premises didn't want to renew her lease...
So she moved to the pub.
It's definitely the place to eat.
I have dined there before but this trip
Carolyn wanted to go to Rawene
and the Boatshed Cafe... totally underwhelming and over priced...
But more about that tomorrow.


This little shop... In somebody's garage...
Is on the way to the ferry to Rawene.
I bought some delicious plum sauce and
a container of little cherry tomatoes...
Carolyn decided to taste their marmalade.


Even the old shoes have been made
into attractive plant holders.


And the 'locals'  who meet and greet at the ferry terminal.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment