Friday 1 March 2013

People I Meet On The Road... No. 1...Matt In Awanui...


This is Matt of Awanui...
Rust exterminator and spray painter extraordinaire.
He was recommended to me by a fellow
Bedford owner...


So seeing I was in the area...
I paid him a visit.


Yes, yes... I can do all that...
'All that' being the small rust areas on the front of my bus...
And the more serious rust around the bottom of the windscreen.


A days work... $20 an hour!
So I booked in for last Monday and was here
the night before so he could get started early...
Well... Early turned out to  be 9.30am at the earliest...
A day has turned into four days...

 
This is the 'workshop'...
A den of all sorts of things...
And where the frequent 'smoko's' happen...
And friends come and sit and drink and give advice!
It's been a family affair with Matt, his partner Nancy and
son Sandy all hard at work... From time to time.


  This is the lovely bowl of fruit from the garden trees
that sat outside my door...
Figs and peaches... I've eaten all the grapes.



This is where I have been parked for the four days.
Right on site... It enabled me to keep an eye on progress.
As it turns out, shortcuts that were taken,
turned out not to be shortcuts after all.
Newly applied paint had to be sanded off to put  filler over the
bare metal to fill up the hollows that had been left from removal of rust.


Belatedly masked up... Too late as there is white paint spray in
lots of places it shouldn't be... And not easy to get off.
Hasn't been the best paint job...
So I have some cleaning and touching up to do...
His rust work is excellent...
Moral of the story is - don't take shortcuts.


The finishing touches of black paint...


And... All finished and ready to leave... Back to the beach.
If you want to find him... Just ask around at the Awanui shops...
His whole whanau live nearby.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment