Thursday 28 January 2016

Rain... Rain and More Rain...

After tiki touring round some of the side roads and finding amazing little beaches my destination was the Fox River - Woodpecker Bay at Tirimoana. TD # 6507. It was fine and sunny but by early evening it started to rain and not just rain but heavy rain. It rained all night. I got up early to check the river level as I, along with several others, small vans, caravans and motor homes, were parked in  a car park right beside the river... And I know how these river can flood so quickly. 6.30am all was fine so I went back to bed. By 7.30 there was banging on my door and horrors when I looked out there was brown water everywhere, lapping onto the bottom step inside my bus. The flooded torrent of river had met the high tide...
I moved over the road onto higher. ground, parked with three other old Bedford house buses put on all my wet weather gear and ventured out to have a look...

This is where I was parked... Everyone moved except one vehicle, the owner must have been walking the track into the mountains.






It was wild and windy and raining and all very spectacular... The photos tell the story...

The next day as the river went down I walked round the bridge. The river had dropped at least six - ten meters. The force of the water had gouged out massive amounts of stones...



Major amounts of driftwood and trees... And some blue sky...

The river's going down, shingle banks are beginning to appear again... But it's time for me to move on... To my next adventure!

PS... The phone and Internet reception is very patchy all along the west coast so hence big gaps in telling you my stories...

No comments:

Post a Comment