Sunday 9 September 2012

I'm Travelling North... Slowly... To Pururi Bay...


This is Puriri Bay. It is a Department of Conservation camp site.
It's a very popular spot in the summer but right now it's deserted.
I met some friends in their house bus here yesterday.
It's a beautiful little tucked away place...
Round a windy road and over the hills...
Off the main drag.
It's been very windy so not good for fishing...
But that is supposed to improve in the next couple of days.


We have the whole beach to ourselves.
It's a lovely time of the year to come here.
The weather is still cooler so it's a great time for walking...
And there are some lovely walks here...
Up to the trig on the top of the hill...
And down to the small rocky beaches on the other side of the peninsular.

This is the access road... It's the end of the road...
The little building is the DoC Office. It's closed till the summer and an honesty box exists...
For the hardy souls who come here at this time of the year.
But I have an annual DoC pass...
And I love the uncrowded isolation.

The grassy camp site is very wet with all the rain we have had over the winter...
So I have stayed parked on some hard shingle where I won't get bogged.

Parked in the sun... I'm very happy here.

 

I left Whangarei heading north on Route 1. Turned off at Whakapara to the east. It was a windy hilly road for 50km. Turned off again at Ngaiotonga past Bland Bay over the hill to the end of the road...
 

This is the summer time when it's crowded and unless you book you can't get in here.

1 comment: