Thursday 27 September 2012

The Renovations Continue...



I thought I would help!
Paint and I have a love hate relationship... I hate painting... It loves me and sticks to me all over!
Anyway I decided to be helpful and give it a go.
Angus lent me his overalls...
I gave all the new shelves an undercoat then the 1st top coat.
Angus was very long suffering...  And said nothing detrimental!


 
Here is the back half of the bed...
You can see the hinges and the bit right at the back for the side of the  mattress to tip onto.
The storage in front is where the baskets will slide back in.
The new space underneath, that you can't see in this photo,  is amazing.
All sorts of things can get put under there.

Here is the whole bed base, hinged in the middle...
So that I can lift up just the front half or the whole base.
The new end board replaces the one that had holes where the radio speakers had been.


This is the whole base lifted up and supported by a wooden brace...
The wooden bearers underneath are only attached to the back half.
The front half rests on them but is not attached
so it can be lifted up separately.
They are placed to rest on the cubicle dividers underneath
when the bed base is closed.
The water tank with its new insulation...
And all the newly accessed storage space at the sides and back.
Lots of design and building ingenuity by a very clever Angus...
And it all works perfectly.
I can manage it easily... But I haven't tried it with the mattress on it yet!


These are the beginnings of two new shelves to replace the one that was at the end of the bed.
These have been carefully measured to clear the bed when it lifts up...
They are attached to the solid bathroom wall...
They are well braced to hold books.


The next stage... The shelves undercoated and attached.


The corner braces... And the up-stand fronts being fitted.
I want to eliminate having to move things when I travel...
So all the shelves are having fronts on them.
They will be lined with non-slip matting... And hey presto...
Things will stay there and not fall out.


The fronts are finished.
Each shelf is made to come off the wall in one unit...
So they were taken off to be painted...


I painted the new board at the end of the bed...


Here are the shelves... Undercoat and 1st top coat...
Hanging up to dry.


 
And here they are... Back in place, Light switch re-attached...
And all ready to go...
As soon as the paint is dry and hard.
Don't they look neat and well made... They are of course...
And when I get books in them...


This is my tiny 'dressing table'... Angus has put a little up-stand around it...
Again so I can leave things there when I am travelling.
He very cleverly used the 5mm off cuts from the lids of the cupboards at each end of the bed.
Then it's the same timber and same colour...
Lots of detail.


Here is another finished shelf... Made to measure for my filing baskets...



Or in time when I build a desk somewhere...
For anything else I want to put there.
It frees up the counter top underneath for?  Well anything really!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, it's looking great, Angus was a great find...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic Angela!!!! Looking really good -and exactly what you wanted by the sound of it - well done xxx

    ReplyDelete