Saturday 24 March 2012

Angela's Skin Food... Another Recipe... Shampoo


I've been experimenting again...
This time with a recipe for 'Natural Shampoo/Shower Gel'
I found the recipe in the Organic NZ magazine

 
 I decided to use Camomile Tea as I have blond hair. I used all the fine
bits of tea that I don't like in my cup of tea. I made it with 2 cups of
hot water and left it 24 hours to brew.
 
 
 Here I have strained and reheated it ready to stir the soap into...

 
 The soap I use. It's absolutely the best soap and works the best to makes
shampoo. From Viola Organics...
'Beautiful creamy soap made with Organic Olive Oil from the Marlborough
 region of NZ. Fragranced with pure steam distilled essential oil of Lavender.
No colouring, no synthetic additives, just pure luxurious soap'.
This business is owned and run by Janine Matchitt. She makes all sorts of
beautiful organic products. She will send you a free catalogue and
you can shop on-line.
I have found some other soaps, although sold as 'natural' don't
work as they have too many fillers in them and go gluggy. 


 Grated... Ready to go...


 I had to keep stirring it for a while. The soap went all sticky but
eventually all dissolved.


 All bottled and ready to use. (I didn't use pectin this time)
It looks a bit like a Rotorua mud pool, (when you do  use pectin) but
 it's deliciously lovely... And so easy to make.
Recipe
2 cups strong herbal tea
1 block natural hand made soap, grated
1/2 teaspoon  pectin (optional)
Essential oil of choice (optional)
Make tea with herb of choice & leave to steep overnight.
Next day bring to the boil, remove from heat and add grated soap.
Stir until melted, add pectin, essential oil.
Pour into wide mouth jar with lid and keep in the shower. It will set.
To use: scoop a little out with fingers,  it's very concentrated.
Final rinse - 1 tab lemon juice or cider vinegar in 1 cup of water.
Pour a little over hair to restore pH balance. Do not rinse out.
It may take a couple of weeks for your hair to adjust
and the build up from commercial products to dissipate.
Suggested teas:
For dandruff or itchy scalp, eczema etc - Nettle tea
Blonde hair - Camomile tea
Other - Peppermint or sage, yarrow flowers or kumarahou leaves
(Without the pectin the mixture would not set and could probably be put into a pump bottle. When I put the pectin in (jam setting agent) as expected it set 'like jam'.
Try it, experiment...
Be kind to your skin and hair.


1 comment: