Monday 26 March 2012

I wandered in my garden...













Posted by PicasaMy garden being, of course, the great outdoors wherever I am.
I've been at Huketere, as I told you yesterday.
I walked up Utea Mountain to look at the 180degree view from the top...
Just vastness and wilderness for a long, long way.
Then I got wondering...
What grows up here, what manages to survive this salt laden,
wind blown climate.
What has planted itself and lives here?
As I looked I discovered all sorts of things, most of them familiar to me...
Most of them imported weeds, only one native, I think, that I could identify in a book I have.
But in this wilderness I admired their tenaciousness.
They have a beauty all their own...
Weeds or flowers, scrub or shrubs - whose to say...
Some botanist or is it all in the eye of the beholder?
Who created them anyway - God?
Have they evolved through random mutation and natural selection,
as  Darwinian theorists would think?
Is there some from of 'intelligent design' behind their existence?
All food for thought and if it interests you the possibility to research...
Science, knowledge, creation design.
Here's a web site that might interest you - www.truthinscience.org.uk
It's amazing what is being discovered.
Anyway enough about all that...
The photos show you what I found - all happily co-habiting together...
As I wandered in my garden...
Pictures:
1.  Broom - I think an imported weed.
2. The track I was walking down - the stunted environment!
3. Dandelions. I think the seed head is the edibe root sort
4. Some sort of swamp reed/grass
5. A spiders nest created around some dry bracken
6.  Green, growing bracken
7.  Flax - native or not?
8. A beautiful little green leaf
9. Twiggy Coprosma - I think - a native
10.Dandelions
11. Gorse - definitely a pest here in NZ
12. Ice Plant.
If you know more about these plants than me  - and that wouldn't be hard - please comment.
When I visited Ireland I was shown hillsides of masses of beautiful purple Heather and yellow Fir Bush.
On closer inspection I discovered the yellow flowers were...
None other than...
Yes you've guessed it - gorse bushes.
But in Ireland they were compact little bushes shyly growing amongst the heather.
Is it all in the eye of the beholder?

No comments:

Post a Comment