Wednesday 25 April 2012

Anzac Day... Lest We Forget...

Today is Anzac Day in the Commonwealth countries of the world...
It is a public holiday...
A day when we stop and remember those who gave their lives for our freedom and the freedom of our countries.
 
This is my Dad, he is 93 and one of the few servicemen returned from  World War II who are still alive.
He went overseas iin 1942 with the 19th Armoured Regiment and served in Italy and Egypt in the Medical Corps.
We were very lucky to have him home again when the war ended.
He has a row of medals.
 

 
The retirement home where he lives in Christchurch, NZ have their own commemoration service and help the old's get dressed up in their regalia.
I'm in Australia so was at an Anzac Service in Palm Beach.
It is always a moving ceremony to me...
Particularly the bugler playing 'The Last Post'
I was interested to see that Australian's don't wear red poppies...
Made in China...
As a mark of respect but instead there were baskets of sprigs of Rosemary...
For remembrance...

 




The services included the hymn 'Abide With Me'...
The words seemed very appropriate and must have been very significant for all the people at war.
"Abide with me, fast falls the eventide
The Darkness deepens, Lord with me abide
When other helpers fail, and comforts flee
Help of the helpless, O, Abide with me.

I fear no foe with Thee at hand to bless
Ills have no weight and tears no bitterness.
Where is death's sting? Where grave thy victory?
I triumph still if Thou abide with me...

There must have been some desperate men and women in terrible situations who echoed these words many time.

ODE TO THE FALLEN
They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old,
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn,
At the going down of the sun, and in the morning,
We will remember them.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment