Monday 18 June 2012

Mary Mary Quite Contrary...

How did your garden grow... with silver bells and cockle shells... and pretty maids all in a row...
Well in this case it's Angela Angela with my edible garden and pretty pots all in a row.
Yesterday I went to Bunnings...
First things first...
I bought some steps.
Then I could climb up and measure the space for the pots and work out how many I could have.
Five seemed the right number and 50liters of compost.
Then the plants...
Herbs first...
Italian Parsley, Curly Parsley, Chives, Wild Mint, Coriander, Thyme and one spinach plant.
Then the flowers...
Well, Nasturtiums with edible flowers and leaves, it's not the right time of the year but I found a few sad plants going cheap plus a packet of seeds. They will climb and wander all over the place.
Then Calendula Marigolds with edible petals. Again not the right time of the year and the two plants I found are very tatty but also got some seeds. They make a lovely yellow mayonnaise or sprinkled in salads or fruit salad. Also the petals steeped in oil to use for my 'Angela's Skin Food' body cream. Calendular is very healing.
Little Viola's with sweet faces, the flowers and leaves are edible.
I also indulged in four strawberry plants with flower buds on them already. I need another pot for them, I can fit in just one more.
The pots were filled 2/3 with soil and all the plants carefully planted.
So... After a 1 degree frosty start to the day, see pic of the grass outside my window, the sun came out and it was a perfect day for making my garden.
It's raining today and the plants are all sitting up and looking very perky.


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment