Wednesday 24 October 2012

The Bedford Rally...


I've just spent four days over the long holiday weekend
at the Bedford Rally.
It was held at Lance Cryer's place "Bedford Heaven' at Puriri...
A small town between Thames and Paeroa.
There was only one down side - poor internet reception...
So you haven't heard from me for a few days!

It's a fascinating place...
Full of old Bedford carcases that are used for spare parts.
This was the way in...


Past a big truck loaded with crushed bodies...
Stripped of their bits and pieces...
Only good for scrap metal.

The way in continued...
Past the line up of old history.
Luckily Lance had a tractor or two...
It had been raining and we all got bogged...
Driving into the paddock where the rally was held.
Another new experience for me...
I've been loaded onto a tow truck but not towed out of the mud before.



A
All sorts of restored Bedford house-buses turned up at the rally...
This  had been a mobile post office.


More restored Bedford's... Parked in the muddy paddock...
Owners gathered comparing buses... Motors... Gears...
And all sorts of things.
That's me with my bike on front.
I was towed in backwards...
Really down on one side and my back left wheel in a hole.
But soon a big 11 meter bus arrived...
The owner wandered over and offered to jack me up...
 No trouble... So soon I was level... Sitting on several blocks...


Here are piles of parts...



And beautiful old Bedford bodies...
Reclining... Waiting... Reflecting!




 
And the beautiful restored... Much loved... Lived in...
House-buses.

History parked amongst the weeds...


Another house-bus... Lived in as a full time home.

Beautifully restored and painted.

I
I wandered amongst the old bodies...
Wondering at the stories they could tell


No comments:

Post a Comment