Wednesday 31 October 2012

Miranda... Shell Cheniers... 3900 Years Old!


While I was parked at Ray's Rest...
I got my bike off the front of my bus...
First time for a while as it's been either too cold or too wet.

I went off biking along the beach... to see what was there.
It's a famous bird migrating area.

I found these signs...
About the formation of this area of land and the shell banks.
It was very interesting and amazing to think it's so old and been happening for so long.

These are the birds that gather here...
Many thousands of them...
And travel many thousands of miles to the other side of the world.
I saw a documentary film about them ages ago.
It's quite incredible how they navigate and find their way...
Back to the same places year after year.

When the tide is out there are vast areas of shells...

I rode quite a long way and could have kept going much further...
More and more shells all round the coast line for a long way.

In places  it was quite soft and muddy...
My bike and I arrived back at the bus...
Tired and in need of a clean up.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment