Thursday 16 August 2012

My Daily Walk... Ten Thousand Steps!


This is my last day at Uretiti for a while. I'm going to Whangarei to do a few 'town' things.
So I took myself off for a long walk... First round the camp...
You might wonder what I see as I do the same walk often.


We have had a lot of rain so water lying in lots of places...
Not many people staying here at this time of the year.

Next I found some fungi... Quite a patch of them... All the same.
I don't know what their name is...

Fascinating things. I have 'Googled' them but couldn't find them.


Then a camp of brave young people in tents with kayaks.
I was talking to them later on the beach...
They are from Mt Roskill Grammar... On a class camp.

I continued my walk round the camp...
Next is the dumping and re-cycling station.
It's great the way it's set up and a great service to the campers...
Staying for two weeks the rubbish accumulates...
So its good to have a place to dump it rather than having to save it up and take it away when I leave.


Next are the entrance/exit gates. Glenys lives in her fifth wheeler nearby and looks after all the comings and goings. The gates are locked at night so that makes Uretiti quite a safe place to be.


Hiding under a bush... A lovely clump of daffodils... They smelt divine.

Managed to get close enough to this bird... A type of seagull I imagine.
It was squawking  loudly for its mate... so wasn't interested in me.


And out onto the beach... I never get tired of this beach...
It's the same beach but always different with its moods and colours.
This is looking north as I walked towards Ruakaka...
I walked to the surf club and back... 8500 steps...
Plus round the camp added up to 10.000...
I wear a Pedometer!

This is looking south towards Waipu as I walked back again...

Tiny shells that the tide washed in... I collected a few.
When they are dry I spray them with clear Polyurethane...  Then they keep their colour.
I have a small collection of all sorts in my bus. I love them... Some are so big and thick,
others are so delicate and fragile and I wonder how they survive the waves and stay whole.


Two 'Variable Oyster Catchers' looking for lunch. They are always in pairs and
squabble and chatter and dig with their long red beaks. They run at speed along the beach...
They look quite funny with their legs going so fast.

So that was my daily walk... The beach is a soul restoring place for me...
Wind, rain or shine... I never tire of it..
While I'm in town I can think about it... And remember it...
Till next time.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Angela, the name is basket fungi :) They are a native, and edible before they open like that.
    I love them! :)

    ReplyDelete