Tuesday 8 May 2012

Books... And More Books...

I love books...
I love reading them...
I like looking at them...
I like being surrounded by them.
A while back there was a comment on my blog expressing interest in what the books on my shelf are...
So, as it's a wild wet day and I'm inside I thought I would tell you about some of them and about one in particular.

Lots of them I haven't read yet, that's why I have given them space in my house bus.
I have about 20 more boxes of books in storage, some university books, many specalist counselling books, some treasures that belonged to my mother...
So when I have read these ones I will either give them away or swap them for some more in my boxes.

So starting from the left...
Suduko It stimulates my brain in a different pattern.
Scrabble Players Dictionary, I don't play so much but used to play online with a friend,  I must get back to it.
'The Poisonwood Bible' came highly recommended. I've had it for a long time and haven't got round to reading it. Set in 1959 in the Belgian Congo, an unforgettable epic that chronicles the disintigration of a family and a nation.
'The Fatal Shore' by Robert Hughes, the fleet sent in 1787 by the British Govt to colonise Australia. An opus on the convict years. I have been on the lookout for this book for ages and found it recently in a 2nd hand bookshop.
'Six Hours One Friday'. I've had this book a long time, I've read half of it and want to finish it. Easter, Good Friday. Three bodies are nailed to three crosses, one of the bodies is that of an extraordinary man... Jesus. Find out why: Your life is not futile... Your failures are not fatal... Your death is not final...
'The Planets' by Dava Sobel, a science journalist, her most ambitious topic to date, the planets of our solar system, whether revealing what lies behind Venus's cocoon of acid clouds or recalling her personal encounter with moon dust, this intimate account is filled with fascination, beauty and surprise. I can't wait to read this.
And last but not least for today - 'Health Wars', by Phillip Day. Pub: Credence Publications. www.credence.org.
I recently went to an evening seminar given by this man who travels the world endeavouring to bring the facts in this book and in the many others he has written to peoples attention. It encourages us to take responsibility for our own health and well being and not rely so heavily on hospitals, doctors and drugs all funded by the huge encroaching greed of pharmaceutical corporations. It's a fascinating book with some truths that will shake the myths you believe.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment