Thursday 10 May 2012

Muffins... From A Famous Source

I'm making muffins to eat with morning coffee...
What recipe to use?
For the past 26 or more years I have been visiting the Wholemeal Cafe in Takaka when I am in that part of the country. Find out more here.
It's a beautiful part of New Zealand and I have family who live there so it's been a regular place to go.
I love the food there and the ambience in the cafe. It has changed over the years, got bigger, and lost some of its original charm but is still a favourite place.
I have the 1st cookbook with 3 muffin recipies in it. The Wholemeal muffins are always good and this recipe is always successful.
I adapted the recipe to be Spicy/fruit muffins for Easter and have made them again since then.

Blueberry and Pineapple Muffins
3 cups plain flour (I put 2 white & 1 wholemeal. I use self raising)
3 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup brown sugar (I used 1/2 cup or less)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (I used 3 tsp)
1 tsp ground ginger
juice & finely grated rind of 2 lemons
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
75g soft butter (I didn't put this)
1 cup milk (I used 1/2 milk 1/2 water)
1/2 cup crushed pineapple (I used 1&1/2 cups Xmas fruit mince)
1 cup blueberries
Icing sugar for sprinkling
Sift flour into a bowl. Add all dry ingred & mix with a fork.
In another container slightly stir eggs, milk, butter, lemon juice & rind, pineapple & pour over flour.
Fold together using a knife. Add blueberries last.
Do not overmix, they will be tough, mixture should look lumpy.
Spoon into well oiled muffin pans. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200 deg C 12-15 mins or until golden brown.
Leave in pan 5 mins to cool. Lift out onto wire rack.
Sprinkle with icing sugar.
They are delicious and won't last long!

Posted by Picasa

1 comment: