Wednesday 9 May 2012

The Littlest Room...

I have shown you my bathroom before...
But now I am settling into my new home and learning how it all functions...
I have decided that the marine toilet that is currently installed is not something I am going to keep long term.
It requires pumping to flush and uses a lot of water.
These toilets are ideal for the place they are designed for - on boats where there is unlimited water.
But to use so much of my 210 liters of precious water that I carry is not ideal long term.
I have also been told that if they go wrong they are a 'shitty' nightmare to clean out and fix - considering there is a 135 litre holding tank underneath...
It might be full!
So I have been researching other options and the best so far is the composting toilet pictured here. If you Google 'Airhead Composting Toilets' you will find out about them.
This one would fit into my existing space. The liquids go into the front container which is emptied spearately. The solids go into a holding bucket that is part filled with damp peat, it has a crank handle to turn it over and in 2 months the result is a dry composted mix that can be tipped into the garden or into a rubbish bag for disposal.
No water is used at all!
If you have any experience with these toilets I would love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment