Sunday 17 November 2013

Dickey Flat, Kaimai-Mamaku Forest Park...

When I left Miranda I drove through Ngatea then Paeroa and onto
the Karangahake Gorge. I had met a couple earlier in the day who
told me they were going to Dickey Flat, DoC, for the night...
So I decided that was a good place to make my way to.


After being parked  on the Shell Banks and the tidal mud of the
Firth of Thames... I was met by this green oasis.


It's a basic Department of Conservation camping area... A toilet block...


Beautiful green trees...


Licorice Allsorts parked for the night...


My neighbours over the way... There were a few tents among the trees
but vehicles are confined to the parking area. It was quiet and still...


The only sound the river... The fresh water supply... That was across the
car park and the grassy field in front of where I am parked, and the birds.
This photo is looking north...


This photo to the south.


The next morning after the mist cleared and the sun came over the hill
 I decided to explore one of the walks... The Crown Track...


Through the camping ground...



Along the track to...


The suspension bridge in the previous photo.


Over the other side...


And through the lush green ferns and bush.


It was a good track...


The 2nd suspension bridge...


Much more 'swingy' than the 1st one...


Beautiful views of the rivers and crystal clear water...


Some deep swimming holes...


And slow quieter areas. This river flash floods, there are several warning
signs, then it would be a raging torrent. I wandered on...


Until I came to this tunnel. It did say on the information board
that there was a 150 meter tunnel and to take a torch...
But I didn't feel like venturing into such a dark hole with only a pin-prick
of light at the other end. It was very wet underfoot and
water dripping from the top.
I hadn't taken a rain coat and was only wearing sandals...
So another day.


So it was back the way I had come to sit in the sun with coffee
and a mag. It was magic... So quiet... Listening to the river...
And the birds that had woken me up. I was reluctant to leave...
But there was no cell phone reception and I hadn't told anybody
where I was going. If I know I am going to be out of phone range
I tell a friend and my anticipated length of stay there...
Just to be safe.

 
This is the road out... And in of course. But I took these
photos on my way out.


I had the road to myself and could stop and start.


It really is a beautiful area.


I could spend a week there... Time out from my busy 'Life On The Road'.


Over the hill...  Slowly does it...



Back to farmland and civilisation.




And on my way to... Well I don't know till I get there!


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment